Dyslexia is a very common learning difficulty which affects someone’s ability to read, write and spell. Weaknesses and strengths regarding dyslexia are unique to the individual and can affect a person throughout their whole life however skill sets can be developed to improve any weaknesses.
Some common symptoms of dyslexia include:
- Letters seeming to move around on the page.
- Putting letters in the wrong order when spelling words.
- Performing an oral task well but struggling with a written task.
- Finding the planning and writing of an essay, letter or report difficult.
- The eyes hurting whilst reading.
We can perform reading assessments which will identify any ocular cause of the reading difficulty such as Meares-Irlen Syndrome and Visual Stress. We use a combination of Wilkins Reading Assessment, Coloured Overlays, binocular vision tests and in some cases a computer based assessment to best identify the way forward. If you or your child is experiencing any of these difficulties please do not hesitate to contact us for a reading assessment examination. We understand how challenging and frustrating it can be to have such a learning difficulty and not have help to overcome it. Our opticians will explain to you in detail the results and give you an action plan to provide you with on-going help.